Friday, March 24, 2017

The Shack write up

I really enjoyed this movie a lot more than I expected. Clearly, the religious connection was apparent involving the Trinity. My favorite part that jerked a few tears was when he was forgiving his father. He was given the opportunity to see life through the eyes of the Trinity and by doing so he saw the light in his father. Earlier in the film during the judgment scene, he was shown a video of his father being beaten as a boy who put reason why his father beat him. Mack became more sympathetic towards his father which allowed him to forgive his father more easily. I can relate to that, not because my parents beat me or anything, but I do have hostility towards them because I disagree with some aspects of their parenting. Their actions have had a lasting impact on me and it is easier for me to blame them than to accept them for who they are and forgive them. With that being said, it is even harder to forgive someone who has killed a person you love, so I admire Mack for taking steps towards forgiving the abductor who killed Missy.

One message that is emphasized in the film but often overlooked day-to-day is that God cannot protect all from evil and harm. God is blamed a lot for the things that go wrong. However, accidents and evil will prevail which God cannot prevent from happening.

In religious writings, the Holy Spirit is often represented as a dove and never as a physical human. This could have contributed to the controversies that arose from the film. Additionally, the Holy Spirit and God, at some parts of the film, were represented as a woman which is not supported in religious teachings. I know in Catholicism, females are not even allowed to be priests so I am sure controversies arose regarding a female as the Holy Spirit.

In regards to religious symbolism, the tree that grew on Missy’s grave represents the tree of life. Additionally, towards the end of the cave scene following judgment, Mack steps into the waterfall which represents baptism. He developed a new perception of Jesus Christ and pursues a relationship with God.

What other controversies arose in the film?

No comments:

Post a Comment