Saturday, April 22, 2017

Holding our Lives with an Open Hand

I enjoyed how the different characters in The Seventh Seal have such diverse responses to their imminent death. Some of the characters are fearful and cower, some are in denial, while the younger servant woman, Lisa, seemed unafraid. Throughout the film, Lisa comes across as one who holds her life gently and with an open hand. I found her very endearing because of this. I found myself wondering what she had formerly seen and experienced, or how she was brought up, that resulted in the open-handed manner in which she held her life. Many people today, and likely more than ever, grip their lives tightly till their knuckles are white. Perhaps this rises out of a fear of death, I am not sure. I have been provoked, this semester in particular, to considering death and where the line - or middle way - is between white-knuckling our lives and tempting or teasing with Death. I think the way in which Lisa held her life so freely is incredibly beautiful and compelling. I find myself identifying with her in this way, as I also once held my life so lightly, even welcoming Death as a friend, as we see Lisa do at the end of the film. I wish I could sit down to lunch with the director of this film and ask about his experiences with and conception of Death and how that impacted his portrayal of Death in the film!

No comments:

Post a Comment